1. Goats... It started with Goats.
The legend goes that Ethiopian shepherds first noticed the effect of coffee cherries when they noticed their goats full of energy after eating them.
2. Originally coffee was eaten.
African tribes mixed coffee berries with fat into edible energy balls. (Maybe we should bring that one back)
3. The rise of Islam contributed to the rise of coffee.
The Islam religion prohibited drinking alcohol, but coffee was considered acceptable.
4. All coffee in the world grows in the coffee belt.
Hawaii is the only state in the US that produces coffee (although some growers in Southern California are giving it a shot)
5. The King of England banned coffee houses in 1675.
He claimed that they were places were people were conspiring against him.
6. Arabica vs Robusta
70% of the world consumes Arabica coffee beans. The remaining 30% drink Robusta coffee which while it is more bitter contains a much higher caffeine levels.
7. Coffee grows on trees
Naturally, coffee trees can grow to be nearly 30 feet tall. However they are cultivated to be around 10 feet tall so they are accessible for picking.
8. Coffee beans are actually cherries
Coffee beans are actually a seed inside of a bright red cherry.
9. Coffee is the second most traded commodity in the world.
Oil is the first followed by coffee.
10. George Washington invented instant coffee.
True fact. However, not that George Washington. This George was living in Guatemala in 1906. We will forgive him for instant coffee. I'm sure his intentions were good.